Update July 31, 2020
Dear St. Mary’s Parishioners,
You may have seen the recent public health emergency and statewide Wisconsin mask mandate from Governor Evers.
Below, you’ll also find a corresponding letter from Bishop Callahan to our parish, letting us know how this will affect public Masses as we gather together. Please click the following attachment to read through the letter carefully.
If you are planning to attend Masses this weekend, note that signage will be posted with the new requirement to wear a mask indoors. We will also have free masks available for you in case you do not have your own.
In the hearts of Jesus and Mary,
Father Derek Sakowski
Current Status (as of September 4, 2020)
- Weekend Masses are open to the public. Saturday at 4:00pm, Sunday at 11:00am & 1:00pm (Spanish). Including a careful distribution of Holy Communion. We plan to do a live stream broadcast of all 3 Masses on our facebook page. We will be taking several precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Seating capacity will be limited due to social distancing. If desiring to attend, please arrive early and follow instructions. Please consider wearing a mask for the protection of others. We may be directing overflow to the parish hall to participate via live stream (and have Communion brought there).
- No Sunday obligation. At this time, Catholics in our diocese are not obligated to come to Sunday Mass. Please consider staying home if you are elderly or otherwise at-risk for dying of COVID-19. You can tune into our live stream or to the Channel 18 TV Mass and make a spiritual communion.
- Friday Masses not yet open to the public. Wednesday Mass is open to the public starting on September 8, 2020.
- First Saturdays. We are resuming our longstanding practice of devotions, rosary, and Mass on the First Saturday of each month starting on September 5, 2020. We need to ensure sufficient ushers and sanitizing teams. Would you be willing to help? Please let us know!
- Confessions. The Sacrament of Confession is available in the parking lot by drive-up method. Sat from 10am-Noon. Look for the lineup of cars. Drive up to the next available priest. Stay in your car / shut off the ignition.
- Church Locking / Unlocking. The church will now be locked for sanitizing on Sat and Sun aside from the Mass and Confession times. We will continue to be unlocked Mon-Fri from 9:00am to 9:00pm for private prayer or to drop off your donation envelope. Please practice social distancing (6 feet or more), consider wearing a mask. If you feel ill or have a fever, please stay home.
- Offertory Giving. Even if you cannot come to Mass, we still very much need and appreciate your support. Ways to keep giving: (a) Drop off your envelope; (b) Mail in your donation (1812 Lynn Ave Altoona 54720); or give online now.
- Office Hours. Mon-Thurs 9am to Noon
For those times when you cannot go to communion in person, please take the time to make a spiritual communion, praying for all the same blessings and graces from the Lord. You can use these or similar words:
I believe that You are present in the Most Holy Sacrament.
I love You above all things, and I desire to receive You into my soul.
Since I cannot at this moment receive You sacramentally,
come at least spiritually into my heart.
I embrace You as if You were already there and unite myself wholly to You. Never
permit me to be separated from You.